BIRDER

BIRDER

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Darwin Harbour and Great-billed Heron

I went out on a short cruise today which went past the mangroves in Darwin Harbour. As it was not a birding focused cruise I did not hold out much hope of seeing anything but the boat stopped a few times to look at and talk about about mangroves. I used these moments to scan the mangroves hoping to see a bird or 3 but being lunch time and also low tide I didn't get to see much.

As the boat was about to head back to the wharf  I looked up to see a Great-billed Heron majestically flying low along the water. It's silent, deep heavy slow wing beats almost skimming the waters surface. So beautiful with it's almost pre-historic appearance. Seriously I nearly  flew out the boat to get a photo! Talk about lucky!!

It was worth the money for that one bird!!


Stokes Hill Wharf
 



 Gull-billed Tern
 

 
 
 

 
 

Prawns for lunch
 
 
 

Great-billed Heron
 
 
 
 

Great-billed Heron
 
 
 
 

Brahminy Kite