BIRDER

BIRDER

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Nullarbor Weekend

I've been wanting to get across the Nullarbor to tick the Nullarbor Quail-thrush ever since it was officially split by IOC. I just did not feel like driving for 3000 km in a weekend... So after talking to a friend who mentioned the idea of flying as far as Ceduna I immediately booked a return flight!

Saturday I checked in with REX airlines and was horrified to discover they WEIGH all hand luggage and are very strict. I had 9kg (camera, 2 lenses, laptop, ipad, binoculars, and iphone. They forced me to put some of these valuable and fragile items in my check-in luggage! Needless to say I was furious and anxious for the 90 min flight wondering if my treasures would survive unscathed...  thankfully they did.




I hired a car through Budget and collected it at the airport and drove straight to the Nullarbor Roadhouse. From Ceduna it is only 300km and an easy run.


 
 

 
 






Dingo


It took exactly 5 minutes to find the Quail-thrush but 4 hours to manage a photo. They are quite elusive and camera shy.








Nullarbor Quail-thrush



After my mission was complete I visited the Head of the Bight and got some excellent views of the Southern Right Whales with their calves and also of the glorious scenery. A stunning location and I did not mind paying the $18 entry fee as I was lucky enough to find a Common  Scaly-foot (legless lizard). These little beasties are very shy and will scurry off as soon as they know you are near.



Singing Honeyeater
 



Common Scaly-foot
 
 
 



Head of the Bight


 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 




Southern Right Whale
 
 


 


I met a friendly couple who were on their way to WA and they invited me to join them for dinner. It was nice to have some company for a little while, people are friendly on roadtrips.The Nullarbor Roadhouse is fun, but very expensive and the room had a foul odour. With no flyscreens I was unable to open the window as the flies were terrible. However the staff are friendly and it is an experience not to be missed.



Australian Raven
 
 
White-winged Triller
 
 

 
 

Rufous Fieldwren
 

 
 

Nullarbor Quail-thrush
 
 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 
 

Welcome Swallow
 

Nullarbor Roadhouse
 






A quick visit to Fowler's Bay on the way back to Ceduna resulted in some nice waders in the Samphire and a Nullarbor Bearded Dragon.


Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
 

Curlew Sandpiper
 


Sharpie...

Banded Stilt
 




Nullarbor Bearded Dragon






Nullarbor Sunrise